Sunday, May 5, 2013

He's Here! Eric David Bergman - April 28, 2013 at 6:13 AM

Our little sweet boy was welcomed into the world on Sunday, April 28th at 6:13 AM!  We named our little Swedican Eric David.  His names are from his grandfathers' middle and first names. Eric weighed 10 pounds 6 ounces, and measured 22 inches long at birth.

Eric was due on April 24th...and as that day came and went, I was sure that he would stay in utero forever.  The weekend of his birth, his aunt and uncle, Suzanne & Kevin, came down to visit (and hopefully to meet their little nephew).  They made us many delicious enchiladas that we can freeze and eat over the next few weeks.  I guess Eric decided that he did want them to be there when he was born, because I went into labor that Saturday (April 27th) night.  We were having a belated birthday dinner for Kevin when my contractions came on fast and furious.  As I tried to sit and participate in the dinner (i.e. not eating and trying to listen through the pain), we decided to call the doctor to see if I should go into the hospital.  Dr. Heider was on call and he said "yup come on in whenever you're ready."  (Side note: Dr. Heider was a resident when my mom was a labor and delivery nurse at UVA.)  We went home, got our hospital gear and headed to Martha Jefferson Hospital around 8 PM.  Apparently, a lot of other babies liked the 27th, because when we arrived, the nurses told us they were slammed (there was even another 'Becca' in the delivery room next to ours).  We were fortunate enough to be paired with the most wonderful and chill/relaxed nurse, Liz Stull.  After being admitted my labor continued to progress very quickly, so I promptly asked for an epidural :).  Thankfully due to my amazing support team (Christian, my parents, the MJH nurses, doctors Heider and Weaver), I had an easy and safe delivery.  Holding our little Eric for the first time was the most surreal and wonderful feeling I have ever felt in my life.  My mom told me later that when the nurses put him in my arms for the first time I said to him, "hey there little fellow.  I've been waiting to meet you for a long time!"

Here is a photo, right after his birth, of (tired and happy) Mom & Dad.  We love you, Eric!

Meeting Dad for the first time:

Momma is in love:

No comments:

Post a Comment